Est. May 2008

23 April, 2013

It’s Magically Ironical

i·ro·ny - the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning
In her latest Washington Post diatribe, Susan B. Thistlethwaite once again chimes into humanity – evangelical Christians in particular – due to their lack of support for anthropomythic global warming.

Now, the irony isn’t really in the fact that those ‘global warming predictions from thirty years ago’ in which she and other warmists have placed so much faith have proven to be a bucket of bunkum (see here, here, here, and here); and it’s not really in the fact that her idol in anthropomythic global warming, that ‘famous climate scientist … James Hansen’, has been pretty thoroughly debunked, even by his ex-boss at NASA (see here, here, here, here, and here); and it’s not even because the Bible gives us ample warnings that prophets are only as good as their words (see Deuteronomy 18:21-22 and Matthew 7:15-20) and how God will destroy their credibility (Isaiah 44:25); it’s not even in Ms T’s appeal to Earth as ‘Mother’ in a lame attempt to call anthropomythic global warming ‘a kind of ‘war on women’ that applies to the planet’.

No, the most delicious irony is held for the two quotes she takes from the book of Isaiah: Chapter 50, verse 2b and Chapter 42, verses 14b-15.

Before I show you the irony I want to you take particular note of the fact that in both cases, Ms T begins her quotes halfway through the opening verse – this is important, and you’ll see why momentarily.

Now, on to the first quotation; rather than only offer you verse 2b, I’ll give you the entire verse (with Ms T’s selective selection in bold):
Why, when I came, was there no man;
    why, when I called, was there no one to answer?
Is my hand shortened, that it cannot redeem?
    Or have I no power to deliver?
Behold, by my rebuke (D)I dry up the sea,
    (
E)I make the rivers a desert;
their fish stink for lack of water
    and die of thirst.
Why did Ms T leave out the first half of the verse?  Well, because it only has meaning when you exegete the second half of the verse correctly; if you eisegete the second half of the verse – as Ms T does – it’s meaningless.

Look at the bolded verse.  Note the superscript D and E.  I didn’t put them there – Bible Gateway did (you can go look: when you get there, click on the button marked ‘Page Options’, then choose ‘Cross references’).  Now any Bible that’s marked as a ‘Reference Bible’ has those – they’re usually found either in the center of the page between the columns, along one side of the page, or at the bottom. 

Now, cross-reference D up there goes to Exodus 14:21, the description of the parting of the Red Sea; letter E goes to Joshua 3:16, the stopping of the River Jordan before the entry into the Promised Land.

Knowing this, we can paraphrase the verse thusly: ‘And God said, “Why can’t I find even one man who worships Me?  I parted the Red Sea; I stopped the Jordan River; do these actions of My power not prove to you that I am God?”’

Which really doesn’t fit Ms T’s eisegesis of the verse:
Judgment on injustice toward the planet, and seeing this injustice specifically as sinful, is the theological message we need today. Evangelical Christians emphasize “creation care” based on “stewardship” (Gen. 1:26), but this is frankly inadequate for a global weirding theology today.

Instead, we need to look at how the Bible actually talks about how climate catastrophes should be seen as God’s judgment. According to the prophet Isaiah, God says, “By a mere rebuke I dry up the sea, I turn rivers into a desert; their fish rot for lack of water and die of thirst.” (Isaiah 50:2b) (emphases mine)
Maybe this is why she left that first half of the verse out?

The second quote, in context (and Ms T’s selection, again, in bold); keep in mind, Ms T is using this quotation to back up her point that ‘the judgment of God is upon humanity precisely FOR trashing the planet.’
14 “I have kept silent for a long time,
I have kept still and restrained Myself.
Now like a woman in labor I will groan,
I will both gasp and pant.

15 “I will lay waste the mountains and hills
And wither all their vegetation;
I will make the rivers into coastlands
And dry up the ponds.


16 “I will lead the blind by a way they do not know,
In paths they do not know I will guide them.
I will make darkness into light before them
And rugged places into plains.
These are the things I will do,
And I will not leave them undone.”

17 They will be turned back and be utterly put to shame,
Who trust in idols,
Who say to molten images,
“You are our gods.”
Again, we see that the first portion of  verse 14 is important to understand exactly what’s going on in this portion:  God is fed up (14a); He will bring punishment on the people (14b-15) because of their unrepentant idol worship (16); He will be merciful in bringing ‘the blind’ through the wreckage and darkness into the light (15).

Here’s the irony:  the big idols the people worshiped were Baal (a Canaanite weather/earth-god) and Asherah (a Canaanite fertility/earth goddess); Ms T is using two Scripture passages which are anti-earth-god worship to promote the current earth-god/goddess worship of environmentalism.  Or, as she calls it, a 'global weirding theology'.

Gaia-worship; worshiping the creation, rather than the Creator.  Idolatry.

And the only reason she can get away with this is due to rampant Bible illiteracy among the laity, folks.

No comments: