Est. May 2008

21 May, 2014

That’s What I’ve Been Saying


Over at Steve Deace’s blog, guest columnist Michael Peroutka writes, regarding the recent Supreme Court Case allowing opening prayers for the town board of Greece, New York:
Given the totality of the circumstances, however, I believe that this conventional wisdom is anything but wise. In fact, I believe it to be the essence of foolishness. Let me explain why.
He goes on to say something I’ve been saying for a while now regarding these First Amendment Establishment Clause lawsuits (which he does so much better than I do):
The Establishment Clause, which is the Constitutional provision at the heart of this case, is comprised of only ten words. Here is what it says: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion…”

So, the legal question before the court was whether this clause had been violated.

In other words, did the offering of prayer by the Town Board of Greece equate to Congress making a law, the effect of which is to establish an official United States religion?

Well, the answer seems to clearly be “NO,” for at least two very simple reasons:

1) The Town Board of Greece, New York, is NOT the “Congress”

2) A prayer offered at the Town Board meeting is not a “law.” It is simply a prayer.
Exactly.

He then explains why these kinds of things keep happening, and, more importantly (IMO), why he sees the Supreme Court’s decision as so disastrous for religious freedom.

But … I’ll let you go over there and read it yourself; I don’t want to ruin the surprise.

No comments: