Est. May 2008

10 June, 2015

Ridiculousness

Kirsten Powers has a problem with Mike Huckabee; well, more to the point, a problem with something he said.
The website Buzzfeed unearthed a video of the February comments in which the former Baptist minister [Mike Huckabee. ed] quipped, "Now I wish that someone told me that when I was in high school that I could have felt like a woman when it came time to take showers in PE. I'm pretty sure that I would have found my feminine side and said, 'Coach, I think I'd rather shower with the girls today.' " As the presumably Christian audience clapped and giggled, Huckabee said, "You're laughing because it sounds so ridiculous, doesn't it?"
Here's her heartburn:
Yes, it does. But not for the reason they think. What's ridiculous — and sad — is that Huckabee, a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, and his audience appear to believe that transgender people are perpetrating some sort of hoax so they can gain access to public restrooms or locker rooms. Or that they've chosen to identify with a particular gender on a whim. This disregards the actual lives of transgender people, some of whom (though not all) have described feeling trapped in the wrong body from a young age. What's so funny about that?
Absolutely nothing, Kristen ... except for the fact that you completely missed his point.

Re-read, if you will, what Mr. Huckabee said.  "I wish that someone had told me when I was in high school ... "  Now, has Mike Huckabee ever come out as transgendered?  Not that I've ever heard.  And that was his point: he's not so much concerned about transgenders 'perpetrating some sort of hoax so they can gain access to public restrooms or locker rooms'; his concern – which is that of a great many other people who've weighed in on this subject – is that nontransgendered people will do so. 

That's right, Kristen; by allowing a miniscule percentage of the population (approximately a million out of three hundred twenty million, or 0.3%) of people who think they're not the gender they biologically are to use whichever bathroom or public shower they feel is 'right', the door will be open to heterosexual perverts to 'get their jollies' with impunity – all they'll have to do is say, 'I'm transgendered!' 

And if you don't think that's going to happen, you're hopelessly naive.

And that, Ms Powers, is the joke: that a million people with what was once considered (and rightly so) a mental disorder now can force three hundred and nineteen million others to fear going to the bathroom at the park or take a shower at the Y or use a locker room in the high school.

You're right.  It is a bad joke.

No comments: